6 Ways To Maintain Mental Health During COVID-19
In order to get through this pandemic while keeping our mental sanity, it is important to take care of both our bodies and our minds. We are surrounded by fear and uncertainty right now, which can take a toll on our physical and mental health unless we are careful to combat this level of stress. Here are six ways to take care of your mental health:
- Take time to drink tea or coffee in a quiet room by yourself! Let your mind wander, sit in the serenity of silence, count your blessings, practice mindfulness.
- If you have kids, consider waking up earlier than them to have a few quiet moments to yourself to meditate, read a self-improvement book, or drink your coffee in peace. Starting the day off feeling refreshed and peaceful can make a world of difference! If it’s not possible to get up earlier, maybe take an hour in the evening after bedtime to turn off the TV/tablet/phone and have some intentional “me” time.
- Keep a visible list or sticky-note wall of things you are excited to get back to, or of new things you plan to do as soon as this is all over. This will keep up your hope and excitement as time goes on, and refocus your brain to think of positive things and keep you in a healthier mindset.
- Take the time to connect with those you love! In this time of “social distancing,” we may feel the need to cut others off, but this is far from the truth! From FaceTime to Zoom calls to Facebook Messenger video chats, there are so many ways to stay connected to those we love. Get together for a virtual dinner, a virtual game night with virtual games like Quiplash, or virtual dance parties!
- Consider getting a notebook and keeping a daily “quarantine” journal. Journaling can help align your thoughts and take some of the stress off of a crowded mind. If you are not much of a journaler, take time at the end of each day to think of three good things that happened that day -- this will help keep your mind focused on the positive in each day!
- Lastly, take care of your physical health, because this will help with your mental health!